The holidays are upon us! It’s a special time of year to spend time with family and friends. Here are 12 tips to make sure you have a healthy holiday season:
1. Wash your hands often to help prevent spreading germs. Use warm water and soap, and wash for at least 20 seconds (sing “We Wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year” through twice!).
2. Bundle up when going outdoors to stay dry and warm.
3. Manage stress levels! Take a break if you feel overwhelmed. Reach out to family or friends for support, don’t overextend yourself (it’s OK to say “No, thank you” to invitations) and get plenty of rest.
4. Don’t drink and drive or let others drink and drive. If you are going to drink, make sure you have a designated driver ready to take you home!
5. Be smoke-free. Avoid smoking and secondhand exposure. Smokers have greater health risks because of their tobacco use, but nonsmokers are also at risk when exposed to secondhand smoke.
6. Fasten seat belts while riding in a motor vehicle and make sure children are properly secured according to their height, weight and age.
7. Get an exam and screenings. Ask your health care provider what exams you should get and when you should get them.
8. Get your vaccines. Flu season is upon us! Vaccines help prevent disease and save lives!
9. Monitor children. Holiday parties may mean little ones are in the house; make sure to keep any potentially dangerous toys, food and drinks out of their reach.
10. Practice fire safety. More residential fires happen during the winter months than any other time of year. Don’t leave fireplaces, space heaters, stoves or candles unattended.
11. Prepare food safely! Remember to wash hands properly, sanitize work spaces, avoid cross-contamination, cook food to proper temperatures and don’t leave leftovers on the counter!
12. Eat healthy and stay active. We all know with the holidays comes a lot of yummy treats. But remember to eat a balanced diet, and limit foods high in fat, salt and sugar. Try to be active 30 minutes a day at least five days a week.