Log in

The Triumph of Lamar Johnson: From Wrongful Imprisonment to Inspiring Hope


As the Lincoln School in West Plains gathered to commemorate Juneteenth, the air was charged with anticipation and reverence. This year, the celebration was marked by the presence of a man whose life story transcends the ordinary, reaching into the deepest recesses of human resilience and hope. Lamar Johnson, a St. Louis native, stood before the students and faculty, his presence a living testament to the power of perseverance and the unyielding quest for justice.

Nearly three decades ago, Johnson's life was irrevocably altered when he was wrongfully convicted of a crime he did not commit. For 28 long years, he languished in prison, stripped of his freedom, his future, and the precious moments with his family. His journey from the depths of despair to the triumphant moment of his exoneration is a harrowing tale of a justice system's profound failure and an individual's indomitable spirit.

Crockett Oaks of the Lincoln School captured the gravity of Johnson's visit in his remarks: “Lamar’s visit to West Plains allows us to see and hear, firsthand, how the criminal justice system can profoundly fail. Often times, guilt is assumed early on in the criminal justice process. Lamar’s case should serve to shape our hearts and minds, in this regard.” As Johnson began to speak, the room fell silent, each person acutely aware that they were about to hear a story that would leave an indelible mark on their hearts and minds.

The Nightmare Begins

In 1994, Lamar Johnson was a young man with a promising future. At just 20 years old, he was attending Forest Park Community College, studying welding—a trade he loved and excelled in. He was a diligent student and a loving father to his daughter, Kiera Barrow, who was just five months old at the time. His life took a dramatic and devastating turn when he was wrongfully convicted of the murder of his friend, Marcus Boyd.

Boyd was shot on his front porch by two masked men on October 30, 1994. Despite having a solid alibi, Johnson was quickly targeted as a suspect. This was the beginning of a nightmare that would span nearly three decades.

On that fateful night in 1994, Johnson was miles away with his girlfriend, Erika Barrow, who later testified that he was with her the entire evening except for a brief five-minute window. This alibi should have been enough to clear him, but law enforcement ignored crucial details that could have exonerated him from the start. Boyd, Johnson’s friend, was shot while sitting on his front porch in South St. Louis. The two assailants wore ski masks, making identification nearly impossible.

A Flawed Investigation

The case against Johnson was built on shaky grounds and systemic failures. The key eyewitness, Greg Elking, initially told police he couldn't identify the gunmen. However, under pressure from Detective Joseph Nickerson, Elking eventually picked Johnson out of a lineup. This identification was based on a fleeting glimpse of the gunman's eyes—a detail that Elking took four attempts to pinpoint. It was a dubious foundation for a murder conviction.

Adding to the flawed investigation, jailhouse informant William Mock claimed he overheard Johnson confessing to the crime. Mock's testimony was later revealed to be coerced and unreliable. Mock had a history of providing testimony in exchange for leniency in his own legal troubles, a fact that was not disclosed to Johnson's defense at the time of the trial.

The prosecution's case relied heavily on these two testimonies, despite their inherent weaknesses. Johnson's public defender, David Bruns, was inexperienced and woefully unprepared to counter the prosecution's narrative. The trial lasted only one and a half days, a shockingly short duration for a case with such severe consequences.

A Systemic Failure

During the December hearing in 2022, it became evident that the prosecution's case was fundamentally flawed. Both the former prosecutor and police detective admitted they had no substantial evidence linking Johnson to the murder. The conviction rested solely on Elking's coerced testimony and Mock's dubious claims.

“You had a witness in this case who told you…at best he could recognize maybe something about the eyes,” Judge David Mason said to former detective Joseph Nickerson during the hearing. “Are you sure this isn’t a situation where you guys were in a little bit of a rush to make a conviction?”

Furthermore, it was revealed that Johnson's public defender had not been informed about the payments made to Elking or Mock's history as a jailhouse informant. This critical information could have been used to challenge the credibility of the witnesses and cast doubt on the prosecution's case.

An important, shocking and tragic, but important piece of information about Johnson’s trial is length of time, or rather lack of time, that it took to seal his fate. In just one and a half days Larmar Johnson was tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parol.

The Long Road to Freedom

The fight for justice began in earnest when St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kimberly Gardner took office in 2019 and made Johnson's case a priority. Despite numerous setbacks, including a ruling from the Missouri Supreme Court that initially denied a new trial, Gardner persisted. In August 2022, Gardner filed a 59-page motion detailing the true perpetrators of the crime—Phillip Campbell and James Howard.

Howard, serving a life sentence for another crime, confessed to the murder and stated unequivocally that Johnson was not involved. “Lamar had nothing to do with it,” Howard testified, a statement that should have exonerated Johnson years earlier.

The case gained momentum when state legislators passed a law in 2021 allowing prosecutors to file motions to vacate sentences in cases of wrongful convictions. This legal change paved the way for Gardner to present new evidence and argue for Johnson's release.

A Turning Point

On February 14, 2023, Judge David Mason ruled in favor of Johnson's release, marking a pivotal moment in his nearly three-decade-long ordeal. “I spent quite a bit of time on this, and these questions are not easy,” Mason said. The courtroom erupted in joy as Johnson walked out a free man, reunited with his family and supporters who had stood by him throughout the years.

In a statement after the ruling, Gardner said, “Today the courts righted a wrong. Most importantly, we celebrate with Mr. Johnson and his family as he walks out of the courtroom as a free man.” Her words encapsulated the relief and joy felt by all who had fought tirelessly for Johnson's freedom.

A New Beginning

Johnson's exoneration came just in time for a significant personal milestone. In April 2023, he had the honor of walking his daughter, Kiera Barrow, down the aisle at her wedding. Kiera, who was only five months old when her father was imprisoned, always believed in his innocence. “It would just mean so much to me … for him to be able to give me away,” she tearfully told a "48 Hours" correspondent.

The wedding was a beautiful spring day, filled with love and joy. For Johnson, it was a moment of profound happiness and a symbol of the life he was determined to reclaim. “I am grateful to be free and I’m doing my best to make up for all the time that was stolen from me and my family, especially my daughters,” Johnson said. “I want to put this dark and painful chapter behind me, but there can be no healing without answers and accountability. I deserved better and so did Markus. I intend to make sure this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

Seeking Justice and Accountability

Although free, Johnson's journey for justice continues. He has filed a federal lawsuit against the City of St. Louis and the police officers involved in his wrongful conviction. His case highlights systemic issues within the criminal justice system, particularly the misuse of eyewitness testimony and the coercion of informants.

“This lawsuit is about accountability,” said Emma Freudenberger, one of Johnson's attorneys. “The defendant officers framed a young man with his life ahead of him. Even after the court declared his innocence, there have been no apologies and no consequences. The City of St. Louis cannot continue to simply ignore the glaring police misconduct that has caused Mr. Johnson and his family so much harm.”

The lawsuit seeks both punitive damages and compensation for the years Johnson spent wrongfully imprisoned. A loophole in Missouri law means he is not eligible for restitution from the state, making the lawsuit a critical avenue for seeking justice and accountability.

The Power of Perseverance

Throughout his imprisonment, Johnson never lost hope. He spent his time in the prison library, educating himself about the law and tirelessly working on his case. His determination and resilience paid off, not only securing his freedom but also paving the way for broader reforms in the justice system. Johnson's story is a testament to the power of perseverance and the importance of fighting for what is right, no matter how long it takes.

In addition to his legal battle, Johnson is now an advocate for criminal justice reform, sharing his story to raise awareness about the flaws in the system and the importance of integrity and fairness. His voice adds to a growing chorus calling for change, and his efforts are already inspiring others to take up the cause.

Inspiring the Next Generation

Lamar Johnson's visit to the Lincoln School left an indelible mark on all who heard his story. His resilience, determination, and hope in the face of overwhelming adversity inspired students and faculty alike. He reminded everyone that despite life's challenges, hope and justice can prevail.

As we celebrate Juneteenth and reflect on the journey toward freedom and equality, Johnson's story serves as a powerful reminder of the work that still needs to be done and the incredible strength of the human spirit. His journey from wrongful imprisonment to freedom is a beacon of hope, illustrating that even in the darkest times, justice can ultimately prevail.

Johnson's experience underscores the importance of vigilance, integrity, and compassion in the pursuit of justice. His story is not just a personal triumph but a call to action for all of us to ensure that our criminal justice system is fair, just, and humane.

Standing before the students of Lincoln School, for when we enter that sacred space, we are all students, Lamar Johnson, with a voice imbued with the weight of his harrowing journey, shared a message of resilience and profound forgiveness. When asked how he had managed to avoid bitterness after losing 28 years of his life to wrongful imprisonment, he simply said, "They got 28 years of my life, I'm not going to give them anymore by spending my time thinking about them and being angry." In those words, he offered a powerful testament to the human spirit's capacity for grace and hope. Johnson's story, marked by unimaginable pain and ultimate triumph, left not a dry eye in the room but also ignited a flame of hope. It reminded everyone that even in the darkest times, we have the power to choose forgiveness over bitterness, hope over despair, and to fight for justice with unwavering resolve. His journey is a beacon of hope, illuminating the path towards a future where justice prevails and the human spirit remains unbroken.